Tuesday, February 9, 2010

my guide dog adventures!

so hello there! I suppose i should say hello to all my twitter followers, who have hopefully come from the link i just posted!
whether you have or haven't, your equally welcome to read about the amazingness(if that's even a word) that's been the last 24 hours for me!
I got up at half 7 yesterday(not having slept till well after 2 the night before), got on a train and came down to the national head quarters of irish guide dogs for the blind(IGDB) for a further assessment, which is what one must do before pursuing a guide dog application.
My aim in doing this, was to find out what went wrong the last time, and hopefully prevent it for next time. so down i came, not knowing what to expect, and not knowing at all how fabulous the next 24 hours were going to be!
The first thing I did yesterday was to do a short handle walk, this was mainly to update and refresh my following skills, which i was complemented on which was nice. then that was it, till this morning.
this morning, then, i got to walk with a golden retriever, and this for me, was absolutely fabulous! the walking pace he had was just so relaxed and laid back. At this point i was thinking, that's the dog for me! then, this afternoon, i got to groom a retriever also, and this was interesting for me, as it was quite different to the lab which i'd been used to before. After this, i walked again, with a retriever, this one was a female, she two was just amazing! so relaxed and laid back, and the perfect speed for me, just like the mail from before.
I know that even if it is not a retriever i get matched with, that the pace they had, is exactly what i want. i do feel, because of the retriever's calm temperament, that this is in fact the dog which would be for me, but we don't have that much control over things! Even the walking pace makes a huge difference, and at least if nothing else, the basics would be there, so i'm feeling very positive about the whole thing!
It's up to myself to get a suitable environment and become settled enough in order for a guide dog to have ruteen work, so that will be my motivation, as well of course as wanting the independence! Watch this space people!

5 comments:

  1. hey Ker
    Sounds like you had a good time in Cork and you really like retrievers! Hope it all goes well.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry i'm glad that you are pursuing a guidedog again!!!!

    I went to the hotel where i will train there in november and we got to walk with a dog.

    Here's the link to what i wrote: on that day
    http://rop_heart.livejournal.com/2008/11/13

    Take care, and hope it goes good this time!!!! Xxoxoxox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, in the last comment i left you the wrong link lol. It's:
    http://rop_heart.livejournal.com/2009/11/13

    Xxxxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerrie, just found your blog through Tories, i've chatted to you a few times on MSN. You can specify which type of dog you want, i said i didnt want a full lab, but would be happy with anything else! I hate really lively dogs and i have a retriever x lab. She's more of a retriever in looks and character but can still get a bit lively with people but with me she's fantastic, she's very laid back in harness but retrievers can be very stubborn, just to warn you! oh and they need daily grooming. They shed loads and loads! i will vacum and the next day the whole flat will be covered agian. They are fantastic dogs and i would love a full retriever next time round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ayurvedic treatment for nonalcoholic fatty
    liver ayurvedic treatment for nonalcoholic fatty liver ayurvedic treatment for nonalcoholic fatty
    liver

    Feel free to visit my site :: ayurveda treatment for fatty liver

    ReplyDelete