Saturday, November 27, 2010

no support

So this should be a happy post, telling you all of my success at NUI maynooth, instead of which, it's anything but. Let me start from the beginning, and once again, i'm looking for your opinions, as they really were helpful last time i asked you to post, and you did.

I got up at 6.30 this morning, and left my house at about 7.15 or there a bouts. When i stepped outside the door, i couldn't believe what my cane, and my feet, were feeling. snow! "Oh my god, am i mad? should I just turn back:? i thought to myself, but then i remembered hearing such great stories about NUI's disability supports. i also was meant to give an IPhone demo today to some perspective visually impaired users, which it turned out, got canceled because of the weather, but not knowing this at the time, i decided to soldier on, not so-much for the demo, but i was excited and looking forward to NUI. My journey there was far from simple...

Luckily, i made it around the first corner on my route without incident. This was only luck, because the snow made it very hard to hear anything. After this, i continued on for a few minutes, but was starting to veer a bit because of my inability to get sound shadows. A very nice man spotted me, and also told me to get back onto the path, and he then proceeded to help me the rest of the way to my bus stop, and wait till i was on a bus, which was very nice of him i thought. Let me mention while i'm here, that Dublin bus have made the great decision, on the 123 bus, to introduce talking stops, this now means that just like the luis, every stop on the bus is now announced, and it is fabulous. I decided, instead of getting out at O'Connoll street, which i had originally asked the driver, that i would get out at the college green stop, and have something to eat in Starbucks, after which, i would get a taxi to connelly, in time for my train to maynooth. As soon as i got off the bus, my adventure began. i stepped up the step and reached for the door of Starbucks to open it, only to find it was locked. After this, i quickly made my way back to the stop, and got a 19A bus to O'Connoll street, and the driver very kindly let me off in a place he wasn't supposed to. It was raining and thundering at the time, so guess he was just trying to make my life easier. Then, i had to get sighted assistance to cross the road, as it was impossible to find the tactile markings which denote the lights, in the snow. After this, i asked the guy who had helped me across the road, to take me to a cafe i go to regularly, in the hopes i might get something to eat, no such luck though, this was closed also.

With this, i decided to opt for the taxi option, thinking i would just get something to eat in connelly station, before catching my train. I asked the driver to take me to connelly station, only to be informed, that the trains were not running, because of some damage to the lines due to lightening. I then decided to see if i could get a private bus from a bus station nearby. I would quickly find out, not only was this not possible, but the option i took was a lot easier, and is very readily available should i wish to get there again, dublin bus service maynooth, and i took a 67. i arrived at the bus stop at about 5 past 9 or that, and unfortunately due to the way things were scheduled, ended up waiting for the student who did come and pick me up as soon as he could, at this point i wish to point out, he couldn't have been nicer, and the access office of NUI did a good job with their assigning of him to me.

When he did pick me up eventually, we went to campus, where we had something to eat, and i, in true blind fashion, spilled coffee all over one of the legs of my jeans. This wasn't two much of a big deal though, and we made our way to the first of many stands.

I met some lovely students there, and i also attended some talks. Social science which is just not for me, Psychology, which i'm glad i went to, because, although i talked about studying it in the last post, i don't think it's for me either. There are just some things i'd rather not know the answers to, plus i don't think i have the ability to be clinical and detached, like is sometimes needed in this field.

I was completely wowed however, by computer science, and software engineering. I would just love to know how to write programs, and i seen a really cool way they teach you two, they do it with robots. You sit at a computer, and you can program the robot from there. They had one firing out marbles, and another that could find a can of beer pick it up, and bring it to you! all be it, a little slowly.. I'd also love to understand computer codes, i'm so enthused about it all, well, at least i was..

When i came home this evening, my aunt was here, and i was talking to her about the course and stuff. When i said i was going to move out, which i'd said to my mam a few nights ago, and which she wasn't happy with, she flipped again. The usual why would i want to move out when i have a family here stuff.

I didn't like that she was doing this, as i felt she was putting a downer on my, until then, good day. But then came the icing on the cake. After a little more probing i found out, that she doesn't think i'll stick the whole degree course out. Why? because i've canceled contracts for stupid things like broadband, and probably because i upgraded to the iphone 4 having only had the 3gs for not so long. I personally, don't see what any of these things have to do with me doing a degree?

Anyway, now, i'm feeling deflated, and just don't know what to do.
Have any of you ever faced a similar situation?

Please help me out with this one

Thanks
Till next time

7 comments:

  1. Hey girl,
    congrats on the mobility and amen for good people helping out. Only you can know what you want to do. Advice would be to talk to the Uni about level of support and how they would teach the course in regard to blindness. research the kind of jobs you could do and maybe have a play around with some programming stuff such as apple scripting or even basic html which will give you a clue if you'd enjoy the course or not. As for families, its hard for them to let go. cancelling contracts is not a reflection on your determination to succeed. My parents wish I'd move out already, well mum would, dad would probably rather have me stick around. but they have long since learnt I'll do what I want and very little they can say will change that. don't let it get you down and good luck with everything you choose to do hon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much, i know you are right, paul said the same. :) they said learning programming would be no problem they've had VI people before, they said i could even program for the mac if i wanted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry I would just go for it. It's your life, after all, not your parents.

    Good luck, and don't let anyone stop you doing what you want to do. Xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous comments, if it's what you want to do then that's what matters. I was sighted while at Swansea Uni, and there were two blind students who I used to talk to and they got on great and enjoyed the independence and their studies. Broadband contracts have bugger all to do with completing a degree lol, and upgraging your phone as a newer model comes out is the right attitude for someone thinking about computer science!

    I taught myself programming to a reasonable level and still do some without trouble since losing my sight. I think the main thing with any subject you choose to study is making sure you'll be able to access the study materials.

    My sister was a sighted helper for a visually impaired girl at Coventry university, and she would attend lectures with the girl to help with notes and explaining what visual things were going on with the lectures. I think a lot of universities have these kinds of helpful services if you find you might need them.

    So I'd highly recommend going to university. It's a great career move and possibly the best way to start independent living.

    By the way, you tweeted the other day about how on earth you were going to manage with the cane in the snow, and I'm dreading exactly the same thing. I imagine myself being like a mini snow plough! I think it's awesome too that Dublin buses announce all stops. Every bus service should do that, but I've never been on one that does! Way to go Dublin bus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Aji Amarillo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them. valentines day gifts

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely supportive data. Keep it up. Continue blogging. Hoping to perusing your next post inca kola

    ReplyDelete